Residents >> COVID-19


COVID 19 Update Header Photo, Blue with images of microorganisims and icons of hand washing, social distancing and staying home.

Frequently Asked Questions


Entering Step 1

When does Step 1 begin?  
Step 1 of the Roadmap to Reopen began on Friday June 11, 2021, at 12:01 a.m.

Can I have visitors over indoors? 
No, unless you live alone.  It is illegal to gather indoors with anyone you do not live with, unless you live alone, then you can have contact with only one household other than your own.

Can we gather outside? 
Yes, to maximum of 10.  Limit close contact to your household (the people you live with) and stay at least 2 metres apart from everyone else.

My wedding reception is booked at an indoor venue, am I still allowed to have my guests? 
No. Meetings and event spaces are restricted to what they are permitted to open for, and wedding receptions are not included at this point.

Can I still have my wedding?  
Yes. Religious services rites or ceremonies are permitted to proceed, and the Town is issuing marriage licences to Niagara residents  by appointment only.  Prescribed gathering limits are for the ceremony itself, and do not apply to private residences or dwellings:  

•    INDOORS: Maximum 15% capacity of the room if held indoors where physical distancing can be maintained.

•    OUTDOORS: Attendees restricted to the number that can maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from every other person in the space where the gathering is held.

Who do I call if my neighbours are having a large gathering? 
Contact your Municipal By-Law Department 905.871.1600 x5216 or after-hours Niagara Region at 905.984.3690 & 1.877.552.5579, or Niagara Regional Police at 905.688.4111.

Can I still get my hair cut? 
No. Personal care services are closed.

Can I go to the Gym? 
No. Fitness facilities are closed. Outdoor fitness classes are permitted to a maximum of 10 patrons at any one time. Access to a washroom inside the fitness facility is permitted.

Can I get a massage? 
Yes. Regulated health professionals such as registered massage therapists and physiotherapists are permitted to operate.  Osteopathic manual practitioners are also permitted to operate.

What about in-person music teaching? 
The in-person teaching and instruction must be done outside, and no more than 10 students at any one time each spaced out at least 2 metres.  If the music class involves singing, brass, or wood instruments, a physical barrier must be installed between each student, and the instructor must be at least 3 metres away.

Can I go out to a restaurant for a meal?
Yes. Restaurants, bars, and other food and drink establishments are permitted to offer take-out, drive-through, delivery service, and outdoor table seating (indoor dining prohibited). Outdoor table seating is restricted to 4 persons per table who all reside in the same household, unless one member lives alone.

Are campgrounds open?  
Yes. Common areas such as indoor pools, communal steam rooms, saunas, indoor whirpools, meeting rooms, indoor fitness centres or other recreational facilities must remain closed, except for first aid services or washroom use.  

What about non-essential retail stores?  
Non-essential retail stores are permitted to open for in-store shopping.  Patron numbers restricted to a maximum 15% of store capacity at any one time.

What about essential retail store limits?  
The following essential retail establishments are permitted to operate at 25% capacity:

•    Supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, indoor farmers’ markets and other stores that primarily sell food (excluding restaurants, bars, food trucks, concession stands and other food or drink establishments)
•    Pharmacies.
•    Discount and big box retailers selling groceries.
•    Safety supply stores.
•    Businesses that primarily sell, rent or repair assistive devices, aids or supplies, mobility devices, aids or supplies or medical devices, aids or supplies.
•    Optical stores that sell prescription eyewear to the public.
•    Retail stores operated by telecommunications providers.
•    Stores that sell liquor, including beer, wine and spirits.
•    Outdoor garden centres and plant nurseries.
•    Indoor greenhouses.


As a business owner, how do I calculate floor space?  
The following website provided by the Retail Council of Canada  (link below) will assist in determining person limits based on what stage the province is in and the type of retail establishment:


Can short-term rentals operate?  
Yes, but they must be licensed with the Town.

Where can I find more information regarding what each Stage means?


Are Fort Erie beaches open?

Yes. Beaches are open to the general public.


Bay Beach has capacity restrictions put in place (2000 maximum) to allow for proper physical distancing.

To access the beach, beachgoers will be required to present one of three 2021 Bay Beach passes (resident, commercial or day). Beach entry will be based on a first-come, first-serve basis, and proof of residency will not be required when entering Bay Beach. Beachgoers are encouraged to review beach rules and the real-time beach capacity tracker before heading to Bay Beach.

For more information about Bay Beach, click here.


How is the Town supporting businesses during this time?

The Town’s Economic Development Team is assisting businesses who have questions and are looking for additional information on government programs and supports. They can be contacted at or by phone at (905) 871-1332. 

Business Availability Mapping Tool

The Town along with the Economic Development Team have also developed a Business Availability Mapping Tool, where businesses can log in to update the status of their business and residents can use the tool to find businesses to suit their needs.  You can find this tool on the Town’s main webpage at


Can I visit local Cemeteries?

Cemeteries are open for residents to visit their loved ones.  We ask that you practice safe physical distancing and keep 2 metres apart from other families that are also visiting the sites and not gather in groups bigger than ten (10).


Is it legal for Council to meet electronically?

New Provincial legislation allows municipalities to hold electronic meetings open to the public as well as meetings closed to the public, provided the holding of meetings is governed by Council's Rules of Procedure.  It is critical for the Town to move forward with important services that affect our residents and businesses. Protecting public health must be our top priority at this time, so holding virtual meetings eliminates the need for councillors and residents to leave their homes. Council's Rules of Procedure have been amended to accommodate virtual attendance by both Council and the public. 

How can I make a delegation if it is an electronic meeting?

Physical delegations to Council are not available at this time, however, the Town Clerk remains committed to ensuring residents' voices are heard. Electronic participation by residents is available. If there is an item on the Agenda of interest to you, to register as a delegation and find out everything you need to know, click on the following link and contact the Clerk's staff as listed: You will then be guided by staff with instructions for participating electronically in the meeting. 

Where can I find meeting dates and agendas?

Visit and you will find all of the information you need.

Please tune in via our You Tube page to watch the meetings live at  Council will be conducting meetings via Zoom Teleconference during this time.


Where can I get Public Health advice?

Health-related questions or advice are to be directed to Niagara Region's Public Health hotline at 905.688.8248 or visit The Town does not have public health officials on staff, but the Region is Niagara’s Public health authority, with a dedicated team of health professionals who can offer relevant, up-to-date advice.

How many cases are in Fort Erie?

The Regional Municipality of Niagara is responsible for this data.  In May 2020, the Region released the data specific to individual Municipalities in the region, including Fort Erie.  For the most up-to-date information on statistics please visit:


What is the Town enforcing with respect to the Emergency Order?

The Province of Ontario issued a stay-at-home order that will last until June 2, 2021. People should only leave home for groceries, medical appointments, exercise or essential work, and all businesses must ensure that any employee who can work from home, does work from home. Visit for more information about enforcement and by-laws.


What is the Town enforcing with respect to the Niagara Region Face Covering By-Law?

  • Persons not wearing a mask in an indoor public place, excluding employee only areas and persons who are exempt
  • Ensuring businesses and establishments are acting in accordance with the By-Law


Is the Town still issuing parking tickets?

Yes.  Effective July 1st, 2020, normal parking enforcement duties resumed.


Where can I direct my complaints?

The Town cannot accept complaints on social media.  To report a concern or violation around enforcement of the COVID-19 emergency orders, or the Niagara Region Face Covering By-Law, please contact the Town of Fort Erie at 905-871-1600 Ext 5216 or submit an online form

Do not call 911.

For all COVID-19 health matters and/or inquiries, please call the Public Health hotline at 905-688-8248 or 1 (888) 505-6074 (press option 7 then follow the prompts).


Can I still rent out my Short-Term Rental to Vacationers?

The Government of Ontario has made some changes to Short-Term Rentals during the emergency periods. Regarding Short Term Rentals, while the Province of Ontario is under a stay-at-home order, only the following are permitted: 6. (1) Every person who provides short-term rental accommodation shall ensure that any rentals are only provided to individuals who are in need of housing. To find out more, please visit:


Can I still have a Garage/Yard Sale?

Although not prohibited, the Town of Fort Erie is discouraging private garage/yard sales at this time.  Facilitators should still make best efforts to comply with physical distancing guidelines, provincial emergency orders, and advice from public health officials. If you have concerns regarding the number of people gathering at a garage/yard sale, please visit our enforcement page at: for ways to report violations of the emergency orders. If residents are found to not be complying with the emergency orders, then warnings and/or fines can be issued.




Is the Town part of the Ontario burn ban? Can I have a fire? Can I burn brush?

Fort Erie is not currently under a Fire Burning Ban.  The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry (MNRF) places fire daytime burning restrictions between April 1 & October 31 every year in Registered Fire Zones.  Fort Erie does not fall under any of these zones at this time. 

On September 21, 2020, Fort Erie Council passed an Open Burn By-law and we want to remind residents to follow the rules under this By-law No. 93-2020. Click here for more information on the by-law.


Do I still have to pay for parking at Parking Meters and Municipal Lots?

Effective July 1st, 2020, parking enforcement and the requirement to pay regarding pay-and-display and municipal parking lots resumed.



What is being done at the parks and playgrounds in the Town?

Outdoor parks and recreational areas are open for the purposes of walking through only. All picnic areas and similar gathering sites are closed. Park bench use is permitted. Physical distancing measures from those outside your household still apply.

Surfaces at parks such as playground structures, benches, tables, waste receptacles, park gates and handrails are not being sanitized. 

Are Boat Ramps Open in Fort Erie?

Yes. Boat Ramps are open in Fort Erie beginning Saturday, May 22. 

Seasons passes for boat ramps for the upcoming spring and summer are available for $100 (taxes included) for the entire boating season. Customer Service at the Town are able to take information over the phone to fill out the passbook and take VISA credit card payments only. The individual can then request a pick-up in the parking lot at the Town to be handed a pass by an employee, or to have the pass mailed to their address.



How are building permits being handled?

The Planning and Development Services department is continuing to process building permit applications and are performing inspections. Any new building permits, drawings and associated building permit fees can be dropped off at Town Hall by ringing the bell on the front outside door, in the overnight drop off box or by emailing the application and associated documentation to Electronic permit submission is preferred.


What about Large Drawing and Application Submissions?

Electronic permit applications can also be sent by email to Please keep in mind, that although we will accept the drawings and applications by email, building permits must have the associated fee paid before they will be processed. The payment can be sent via mail, courier or placed in the overnight drop box at Town Hall. Click here for the digital application for a building permit.


How are building inspections being conducted?

For building inspections, we ask that the inspector attend the site alone and if necessary, the inspector can call the specific tradesperson or the site supervisor to address any concerns.  Inspection reports will continue to be emailed to the appropriate people and if there are any concerns please contact the inspector directly. Building inspections can also be scheduled by calling 905-871-1600 ext. 5510 or by emailing, please be reminded that 24-48 hours notice for inspections is required. 

How are planning applications being handled?

For planning applications staff will accept applications via email at and cheques can be dropped off as described above. All applications will be processed as far into the process as we can. Plans are currently underway to begin holding virtual Planning Act open houses and public meetings in June. The department's goal is to continue to process planning applications as usual.  Planning applications and fees can be found here:,Fees&Guidelines


What about pre-consultation applications?

For pre-consultation applications we will continue to accept applications and payment online at the following link:

Pre-consultation meetings continue to be held via Zoom and our schedule will remain the same as before (second and fourth Thursday of every month).


Is the Committee of Adjustment still meeting?

During the current emergency order banning public meetings, the Committee of Adjustment meetings will be virtual meetings. Residents are able to participate in the meeting by Zoom (audio/video via internet or telephone) or by sending comments to the Secretary-Treasurer of the Committee of Adjustment. The meeting will also be streamed live on the Town's YouTube Channel ( Further information can be found here:


Tax and Water Due Dates & Payment Options during COVID-19

While Town facilities will be closed to the public, residents can still access Town services online, or contact Town representatives at or 905-871-1600, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Alternative options for those needing to make a payment can be found at:

Town Hall has a 24-hour drop-off box that is conveniently located in the parking lot of the main entrance.  Alternatively, mail can be sent to 1 Municipal Centre Drive, Fort Erie ON L2A 2S6. If you are arriving with a delivery at either Town Hall or the Gibson Operations Centre, please use the buzzer and someone will assist you.

Will my Tax PAP payment be withdrawn from my bank account?

  • For accounts enrolled in the 10-month tax payment plan - bank withdrawals will continue as scheduled either on the 15th or last business day of the month.
  • Final tax bills for residential properties will have due dates on June 3, 2021 and September 30, 2021.
  • Final tax bills for business properties will have due dates on July 30, 2021 and September 30, 2021.

Any questions concerning the above please call Town of Fort Erie at 905-871-1600 during business hours

Will my Water PAP payment be withdrawn from my bank account?

Water bills will continue to be billed on a monthly basis.

For accounts enrolled in the water PAP plan, the bank withdrawal date will remain as scheduled on the 3rd business day of each month

Any questions concerning the above please call Town of Fort Erie at 905-871-1600 during business hours

Why did I receive a 2020 Property Assessment Notice from MPAC?

MPAC is continuously reviewing properties. You may have received a Notice for one of the following reasons:

  • change to property ownership, legal description, or school support;
  • change to the property’s value resulting from a Request for Reconsideration, an Assessment Review Board decision, or ongoing property reviews;
  • property value increase/decrease reflecting a change to the property; for example, a new structure, addition, or removal of an old structure; or
  • change in the classification or tax liability of the property.

Your 2020 Property Assessment Notice shows the assessed value of your property based on a January 1, 2016 valuation date and will be the basis for your property taxes for the 2021 property tax year.

The valuation date, established by the Ontario government, is a fixed day to which all properties are valued. In simple terms, the value is the price your property might reasonably have sold for in its current state and condition on January 1, 2016.

How do I submit tenders, RFPs and Pre-qualification submissions?

All Tenders, RFPs and Pre-Qualifications are to be submitted through the Town's bidding portal at Please review the specific requirements in each bid document. Refer to the bid document for opening information. Public openings of tenders may be conducted via teleconference.  Results will be posted to the Biddingo website shortly after opening. Please direct any questions regarding this procedure to Randi Martins, Manager of Procurement at

What Town facilities are closed to the public?

Town Hall
Gibson Operations Centre
Fire Halls
Leisureplex Arena and Banquet Hall
Crystal Ridge Arena and Community Centre
Fort Erie Historical Museum
Railway Museum
Economic Development and Tourism Services Office on Garrison Road
Fort Erie Public Library (All Branches)
While Town facilities will be closed to the public, residents can still access Town services online, or contact Town representatives at or 905-871-1600, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Town Hall has a 24-hour drop-off box that is conveniently located in the parking lot of the main entrance.  Alternatively, mail can be sent to 1 Municipal Centre Drive, Fort Erie ON L2A 2S6. If you are arriving with a delivery at either Town Hall or the Gibson Operations Centre, please use the buzzer and someone will assist you.

Will critical services be impacted?
All critical services, including water and wastewater as well as fire services will continue to operate to support our community. For after-hours services, including road or wastewater operations, please call 905-871-1600. For emergency assistance from fire services please call 911.
I think my home water meter is broken.
We will not be doing water quality site visits inside the home at this time. This includes in-home water meter repairs and in-home extraneous flow inspections.
What about public meetings and open houses?
The Town of Fort Erie will issue a future notice advising of the rescheduled Open House and Public Meeting dates.
What are essential services with respect to Town services?
Provincial orders have resulted in the closure of facilities and outdoor amenities to reduce the spread of COVID-19. 
Under the current provincial orders, it is the responsibility of each municipality to determine what is essential. If you see Town crews working, those activities have been deemed essential by the municipality.

How does the Town determine what is deemed essential?
During the State of Emergency, the Town’s objectives are to ensure the delivery of essential services; protect the safety and security of the public and staff; ensure the Corporation remains financially and fiscally responsible; and continue to work with our partners including Niagara Region, Niagara Region Public Health, among others. The Town is taking a balanced approach in its decision making on what services need to be delivered based on those objectives.
What type of services will be delivered?
Water, sewer, road and core infrastructure maintenance as well as construction that is deemed critical will continue. As well, the Town will continue to maintain our buildings, cutting grass in parks and sports field to control weeds, overgrowth and ticks. This will also allow the Town to open these facilities more quickly once the emergency is past and ensures no additional costs are incurred to bring parks and fields up to appropriate standards.
Services, programs and service levels are subject to change based on the evolving circumstances of COVID-19. For the latest information check the Town’s website at

What is the Town doing to reduce the risk to Town workers?

The Town takes the safety of our employees seriously and regularly consults with the Ministry of Labour, as well as regional, provincial, and federal public health agencies. The Town is safeguarding municipal staff by taking a series of measures to limit contact between employees and the public and minimize exposure to COVID-19.

All employees are required to stay home if sick and to use the self assessment tool provided by the province. Employees are required to self isolate in accordance with the assessment tool if deemed necessary. This is our first line of defense in protecting our employees.

For those employees that are at work, we have taken many steps to minimize the risk, including but not limited to:

Staggering shift starting times to minimize the number of staff that encounter each other;

  • Increasing the frequency of cleaning our vehicles and facilities;
  • Deploying staff to satellite locations to minimize the number in any one area;
  • Providing hand cleaning supplies to all crews;
  • Changing how we do our business to minimize staff interactions;
  • Where possible, separating workplaces using physical distancing guidelines.

Shouldn’t municipal workers be physically distancing or following public health guidelines?

Public health guidelines are considered in our day to day work. Employees are regulated under the Ontario Health and Safety Act and in addition to working in accordance with the act we also have policies, procedures and guidelines that are specific to town staff.

Many of the essential services that the Town provides require the employees to work in crews to perform the work safely. Guideline around COVID-19 do not replace existing health and safety regulations. Work that required crews before this emergency, still requires crews during the emergency.

Why is there more than one employee in a truck or Town vehicle?

The provincial order limits groups of people to ten or less. The Town endeavors to limit the number of staff in any Town vehicle (excluding Fire Services) to limit staff interactions. When this is not possible, all appropriate regulations and guidelines under the Ontario Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Labour are being followed.
Why is the Town cutting grass and maintaining sports fields? Aren’t they closed?

Cutting grass in parks and sports fields allows the Town to control weeds, overgrowth and ticks. It also ensures that the Town does not incur additional costs to try and bring fields or parks back to appropriate standards. In the long run it ensures our fields will be financially viable, and ready for the community when the emergency is lifted. 
Why are contractors continuing to work on Town Construction Projects?
Construction and all supporting services which ensures the safe and reliable use of core infrastructure, such as water, sewer, roads, bridges, etc., are considered essential services. 
The Town is reviewing projects on a “project by projects basis” and are only proceeding with construction on projects that are considered critical in the short-term or an emergency. This includes, but is not limited to, the replacement of infrastructure that has failed or has the potential of failure, results in the mitigation of environmental concerns or could result in damage to private or public property.  
What else can be done to protect Town employees?
The Town continues to monitor the situation daily and we will make modifications to the way we do our business as necessary to mitigate risks and comply with provincial regulations.



Are the buses running?

Fort Erie Transit (conventional) and FAST (specialized) are is operating on a reduced transit schedule.  Currently the Inter-Municipal route from Niagara Falls to Fort Erie is running on its regular schedule. For a complete updated schedule, visit If there are any changes in the provision of these services, a notification will be posted on

On Sept. 17, 2020, Niagara Regional Council extended the temporary face covering by-law (By-law 2020-46) to require residents to wear mandatory face coverings in enclosed public places, and on Regional and municipal transit during the COVID-19 pandemic.

This by-law is to help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in indoor public spaces as more businesses and services begin to reopen.  For further information regarding the face covering by-law please visit the Region's website at which also includes exemptions to the by-law.

Face Coverings on Transit


Is garbage and recycling still being collected?

Waste management is a regional government responsibility. While garbage and recycling are still being collected, the Region has made some temporary changes. To learn more, please visit:

I have witnessed Illegal Dumping, what do I do?

Contact Crime stoppers

Call Waste Info Line at 356-4141 or 1-800-594-5542

Or report on-line

Can I use the Landfill sites?

The Niagara Region announced that as of May 13, 2020, landfill sites will be re-open for regular service.  For up-to-date information regarding the landfill sites, please visit: