Town Council approved recommendations from staff to temporarily waive all business licence fees, save and except Short-Term Rentals, for 2022 to assist businesses during COVID-19. However, new businesses and businesses that require an annual licence renewal are still required to apply for a 2022 business licence from the Town of Fort Erie as in the past.
Short-Term Rental Licensing
Short-Term Rental Licenses are non-transferable.
There is currently a moratorium on accepting new Short-Term Rental applications as a result of Town Council's review of land use controls pertaining to Short-Term Rentals. However, 2021 Short-Term Rental licence holders will be able to renew their licence for 2022 when the application portal opens on January 4, 2022.
Beginning January 1, 2020, property owners and/or businesses who operate Short-Term Rentals such as Airbnbs will be required to obtain a Short-Term Rental licence. This initiative includes required licensing and enhanced by-law enforcement for regulatory items (i.e. health and safety, outdoor sleeping accommodations and local contact person).
- Town of Fort Erie Short-Term Rental Licence Application Form
- Short Term Rental By-law, Schedule 13 and Penalties
- Schedule 13 - Short-Term Rental Fire Evacuation Plan
- Short-Term Rentals Guest Rules
To renew your Short-Term Rental licence online, please click here: https://www.forterie.ca/resource/eservicesLicenseSTR.xsp
A business license grants the owner the right to start and run a particular type of business in the Town of Fort Erie. It is a type of permit indicating the company has the Town's approval to operate. The Town's by-law enforcement can fine or shut down a business that operates without a license.
If applying for a Restaurant/Fresh Food, Personal service (such as manicure, hair or barbering, tattoo), Public pool, Public spa/hot tub, please contact Niagara Region Public Health for an inspection at the time of submitting an application.
- Town of Fort Erie Business Licence Application Form
- Regulations for establishing a new business in the Town of Fort Erie
- Business Licencing By-law
To apply for a new, or renew an existing, Business License online please click here: https://www.forterie.ca/resource/eservicesLicenseBusiness.xsp
Applications and Information
- Schedule 1 - New Business
- Schedule 2 - Amusement Arcade
- Schedule 3 - Auctioneer's
- Schedule 4 - Bed & Breakfast
- Schedule 4 - Bed & Breakfast Application
- Schedule 5 - Bill Distributors
- Schedule 6 - Hawkers & Pedlars
- Schedule 7 - Pawnbrokers
- Schedule 8 - Refreshment Vehicle, Cart, Cycle
- Schedule 8 - Refreshment Vehicle-Application
- Schedule 9 - Residential Emergency Hostel
- Schedule 9 - Residential Emergency Hostel Application
- Schedule 10 - Restaurant-Fresh Food Establishment
- Schedule 11 - Second Level Lodging
- Schedule 11 - Second Level Lodging Application
- Schedule 12 - Business License By-law Fines
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals, Penalties
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rental Fire Evacuation Plan
- Schedule 13 - Short Term Rentals Guest Rules
- Sale and Use of Fireworks - By-law No. 103-2020
You may register your business at the Land Registry office in St. Catharines – 905-684-6351.
GST/HST registration – Canada Revenue Agency – 1-800-959-5525
Workers Compensation – 1-800-263-2484