Short-Term Rental Licenses are non-transferrable.
Effective January 5, 2022 at 12:01 a.m., Ontario will return to the modified version of Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen for at least 21 days (until January 26, 2022), subject to trends in public health and health system indicators.
Short-Term Rentals are only able to operate and rent to those individuals who are in need of housing. Short-Term rental operators must obtain valid verification that the individuals are in need of housing. To learn more, click here.
There is currently a moratorium on accepting new Short-Term Rental applications as a result of Town Council's review of land use controls pertaining to Short-Term Rentals. However, 2021 Short-Term Rental licence holders will be able to renew their licence for 2022 when the application portal opens on January 4, 2022.
Short-Term Rentals in Fort Erie
The Fort Erie Short-Term Rental program was launched in 2020 to help establish and regulate terms and conditions for Short-Term Rental businesses operating in Fort Erie. The program was introduced by Town Council due to a growing number of concerns from fire services, bylaw enforcement and local residents. Some areas of concern included fire safety, property maintenance and a lack of local contact.
Starting January 1, 2020, all Fort Erie Short-Term Rental operators (such as Airbnbs) are required to obtain a Short-Term Rental licence from the Town of Fort Erie. Licence application forms can be completed online.
2022 Short-Term Rental Program
The Council of the Town of Fort Erie has implemented a number of changes to the Short-Term Rental Program commencing January 4, 2022 including:
- The number of Short-Term Rental licences issued shall be limited to 250 in any given year with 2021 licence holders being provided the first opportunity to renew a licence by March 31st, 2022 provided the licence holder has complied with all rules (meaning 5 demerit points or less) during the previous year.
- The maximum occupant limits in a Short-Term Rental shall be as follows:
- 1 bedroom = maximum 4 people
- 2 bedrooms = maximum 6 people
- 3 bedrooms = maximum 8 people
- The maximum number of bedrooms in a Short-Term Rental shall be limited to 3.
- Short-Term Rentals with more than 3 bedrooms are allowed to operate and additional bedrooms shall be closed off with appropriate signage posted on the door(s). Maximum occupancy is 8 persons.
- Annual fire and building inspections shall be carried out for each Short-Term Rental premises.
- The time limit for guests visiting Short-Term Rentals shall be 11:00pm each day.
2022 Short-Term Rental Application Fee:
• 1 or 2 Bedrooms = $750.00
• 3 Bedrooms = $1,250.00
Required Documentation for Short-Term Rental Licence Renewals:
- Completed renewal application form
- Proof of insurance for Short-Term Rental use (minimum liability coverage $2M)
- Fire Evacuation Plan
- Owner Consent Form (if applicable)
- Certificate of proof that the well water is safe to drink (if applicable)
Failure to obtain the appropriate licence will result in a $1,500 fine and 15 demerit points. In addition, a list of registered Short-Term Rental properties in Fort Erie is now available.
To access eServices and pay an outstanding administrative penalty please click here.
Contacting By-law Enforcement (905-871-1600, ext. 5216)
We want everyone to enjoy being part of the Fort Erie community. If you are concerned that a Short-Term Rental property might be violating Town bylaws (i.e., noise and nuisance, parking, property standards, fire safety or building violation), please take a minute to review our FAQs or Short-Term Rental By-law to confirm. If confirmed, please call Municipal By-law Enforcement during hours of operation at 905-871-1600, ext. 5216.
Hours of Operation (May 1 to September 30)
Hours of Operation (October 1 to April 30)
If you have concerns about a Short-Term Rental property regarding noise and nuisance or parking outside of regular business hours, please call the non-emergency number for the Niagara Regional Police Services at 905-871-2300. In case of an emergency, always call 911.
Bay Beach (Also known as Crystal Beach)
Information on the 2022 Beach Season will be provided at a later date.
Please take a minute to review the By-laws referenced above as well as reference our FAQs for operators to further better understand our Short-Term Rentals program. For more information, please contact our Business Licence Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-871-1600, ext. 2252.