Budget & Finances
The Town’s budget is developed annually and designed to support the Town’s Strategic Plan and Official Plan commitments. The budget process relies on both sound financial planning and prudent fiscal management practices. As a result, the Town is able to allocate resources appropriately to provide outstanding services to its residents and effectively maintain infrastructure.
Tax Dollar Distribution for Fort Erie Residents
Who Provides What Services?
Residential Tax Comparison by Municipality
2020 Budget Timeline
How to Get Involved
Staff Reports, Presentations and Public Notices
The budget is guided by the Town’s 2018-2022 Corporate Strategic Plan. The Town's Strategic Plan priorities include:
- Optimizing health, housing and social well-being through service access and healthy lifestyles.
- Sustainable infrastructure for the future.
- Attracting interest and investment through strong advocacy and promotion.
- Promoting business, economic growth and employment opportunities.
- Managed growth through responsibility, stewardship and preservation.
The Town collects taxes on behalf of the Town, Niagara Region and school boards. For 2019, the Town of Fort Erie receives $0.46 of every $1.00 of residential property tax collected.
The Town of Fort Erie strives to strike the right balance for residents: maintaining existing services, programs and infrastructure and providing new services while minimizing tax increases. In a climate of increasing costs, this can be a challenge. The Town’s tax burden is relatively low and the water and wastewater costs are relatively high but, when combined in 2018, Fort Erie was 2.8% above average. The water and wastewater costs are impacted due in large part to the relatively low number of account connections per kilometre that are available to pay for fixed infrastructure costs compared to other municipalities.
Capital Budget & Forecast
November 6, 2019: Budget-in-Committee: reports and presentation
February 10, 2020: By-laws: Levy & General Capital
Water & Wastewater
December 4, 2019 Water & Wastewater Budget Presentation
January 20, 2020 By-laws: Water & Wastewater and Fees
General Levy Budget
January 22, 2020 Budget-in-Committee: reports and presentation - Town Levy & Library
February 10, 2020: By-laws: Levy and General Capital
- Attend a Council-in-Budget-Committee Meeting or Council Meeting and/or speak as a registered delegate. Those looking to speak as a delegate must register one week prior to a Council-in-Budget-Committee meeting.
- Provide feedback to your Mayor or Ward Councillor through their Contact Us Form or email.